A Message From the Superintendent
Welcome to the Inyo County Office of Education.
Inyo County is situated in one of the most beautiful, vast and diverse places in California with high mountain peaks and low desert valleys. Many people visit the county all year long to enjoy fishing, hiking, photography, cultural events, off road trails and winter sports. Some of us are fortunate enough to call Inyo County home. This is an incredible place to live, to work and to learn.
The Inyo County Office of Education supports the local school districts and our varied communities in many ways as we focus our attention on infants’ through adults’ educational needs. We are strong advocates of teaching and learning, bringing the best research to life in efforts to continuously improve educational practice. We strive to make education and services to children and their families the top priority across our county.
Some of the ways in which we support our local school districts are:
- Alternative Education programs for students who are struggling with attendance, academics or behavior,
- Child Development programs providing a preschool experience and support for young children who need extra help reaching developmental milestones,
- Training, coaching and mentoring teachers in districts across the county as they learn new research-based teaching and assessment strategies as well as school and district leaders as they refine leadership practices,
- Drug and alcohol prevention and outdoor education programs to students in district schools,
- Supporting the special education programs at the school sites and districts through our Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) office, and
- Providing direct fiscal and technology services to our smaller school districts and indirect supports to larger districts.
The citizens of Inyo County are served by six individual school districts, each with their own Superintendents or Superintendent/Principals and their own locally elected school boards. As your elected County Superintendent of Schools, I am responsible for monitoring and oversight of school district fiscal stability, providing academic support to districts and their schools, giving direct support to small school districts and implementing regional support activities when directed by the state to do so. I am fortunate to be able to work with an elected County Board of Education as they fulfill their legal duties to adopt policies and regulations, approve the annual budgets for our office and review our annual audit report.
I am honored to serve you as your elected County Superintendent of Schools and welcome opportunities to hear from you, our public.
Inyo County Superintendent of Schools